Thursday, September 10, 2009

Peace

Peace, properly understood, is a celestial grace wrought by the Holy Spirit in the hearts of true believers.

No more than the eye of a hurricane is disturbed by the violent winds around it, Peace is not disturbed even by the most adverse circumstances. In fact, adversitiy intensifies Peace; the bigger the hurricane, the wider its placid eye.

The "wicked are like the troubled sea." wind-torn and wave-tossed by this storm-cursed world. We hear their distressed sirens within the thunder, and see their torn masts atop every lightning-lit swell. But for the righteous it is not so even when we cry, "Lord, save us. We perish." Sometimes we "of little faith" forget that Peace sleeps in our bow even amidst the greatest tempest.

Peace, genuinely expreienced, derives not from our mere satisfaction with, or our approval of what or who is on the outside, but derives from Who is on the inside, Heaven's Dove, wings folded and nestled in the soul. Peace is His very nature, and the absence of His gentle coo in the soul is no indictment of His unfaithfulness, but of ours, whereby we can know that we have grieved, quenched, or resisted His gentle nature.

Peace is Jesus Christ, the Prince of Peace, enthroned in the soul through His only earthly Vicar, God the Holy Spirit. Through the violence of crucifixion, Jesus has made "peace through the blood of His cross," defeating every foe, destroying every fear, dispelling every doubt, so that "neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor anything in creation" can disturb "the peace of God that surpasses all comprehension."

On the eve of bloody Passover, the Prince of Peace said,

"Peace I leave with you. My peace give I unto you. Not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
Dear Friend, have you that Peace?

3 comments:

The Militant Pacifist said...

All praise to the Prince of Peace!

Often, I do not have it...but when I contemplate my Lord...I am pacified.

This essay carries much weight (with me), for I have seen its' author embody the reality described.

Jimmy Downing said...

Oh that we would remember that our lives are hid with Christ in God! What a place of peace!! Oh how I long to possess this precious peace CONSISTENTLY!

THE SATISFIED MIND said...

I would add that peace is not only wrought in the heart, but nurtured in the mind as well:

"You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you." Isaiah 26:3

Most often my peace is disrupted when I focus on my circumstances and forget that the Captain of my ship is always there -- even if I don't "feel" His presence.

Even more precious is the fact that my peace is based not on anything or anyone in this world, but solely on the shed blood of Christ Himself.

"For he himself is our peace...."
Eph.2:14